The legal team at Adobe has developed The Adobe Legal Department Style Guide, which is made available free of charge under a Creative Commons license.
It is described as “a guide for clear legal writing and enhanced collaboration on document creation”.
Content consists of:
- how to organize yourself before you begin writing
- principles of document design
- general drafting conventions
- conventions for agreements
- clear writing guidelines
- a useful short bibliography on legal drafting
The 30-page guide is applied to Adobe’s agreements, policy and training materials to ensure that they are as clear and concise as possible, and to ensure that communications have “a common voice”.
The company claims that it makes their document processes more efficient and reduces translation and other costs, and adds that less jargon makes their internal and external communications easier to understand.
You can download it here.