The Institute of Linguistics at Adam Mickiewicz University is holding its annual event devoted to language and the law. This year will be the Eleventh Conference on Legal Translation, Court Interpreting and Comparative Legilinguistics (Legal Linguistics) and the 17th International Roundtable for the Semiotics of Law.
It will take place over 3 days – from 24 to 26 June 2016 (Friday-Sunday) in Poznań, Poland.
The aim is to provide a forum for discussion in those scientific fields where linguistic and legal interests converge, and to facilitate integration between linguists, computer scientists and lawyers from all around the world.
Papers are invited on the following topics, abstracts to be sent by end of February 2016.
FORENSIC LINGUISTICS IN GENERAL
- (comparative) forensic linguistics
- forensic phonetics
- forensic authorship attribution
- forensic stylistics
- linguists as expert witnesses
- linguistic features of forgeries and counterfeits of public documents
LEGAL TRANSLATION AND COURT INTERPRETING
- legal translation
- court interpreting
- teaching legal translation and court interpreting
- certified translators and interpreters in legal proceedings
- mistranslation and misinterpreting in legal contexts
LEGAL LANGUAGES AND LEGAL DISCOURSE
- legal linguistics
- history of legal language
- legal terminology
- legal genres
- EU legal language
- analysis of legal discourse
- structure and semantics of statutes and other legal instruments
- development of legal languages
- legal and linguistic interpretation of texts formulated in legal language
- teaching legal language
- speech style in the courtroom
- comprehensibility of legal instruments
- Plain Language Campaigns
- linguistic aspects of cross-examination
- technicality in legal language
HISTORY OF LAW AND LEGAL SYSTEMS
- history of legal systems
- comparative study of legal systems
- common law versus civil law countries
LAWS ON LANGUAGES
- language rights
- linguistic minorities and linguistic human rights
- language and disadvantage before the law
For more information, including on registration and early-bird discounts, see the conference website here. It’s a really productive event with a lovely atmosphere – highly recommended!
Pour la version française, cliquez ici.
One thought on “Conference – Legal Translation, Court Interpreting and Comparative Legilinguistics (Legal Linguistics), Poznan, Poland”
Very interesting conference, I would love to go. My only question is: how do I get there from the UK (Cardiff)? Kołobrzeg doesn’t seem an easy town to get to. Many thanks