Below is an updated list of journals that publish articles about legal translation and legal interpreting or more generally about language and law.
In keeping with the field of translation, the journals listed below include papers in a variety of languages.
Of course, relevant papers may also be found in other journals dealing with other related topics such as corpus linguistics, lexicography, terminology, international business studies, and so forth. Conference proceedings may also contain articles of interest, as may publications by professional bodies such as translators’ or lawyers’ associations. Institutions also make available publications from time to time. There are also online magazines covering language issues, e.g. Slator or Babel, and covering the law e.g. ABA Journal or Lexology.
Please feel free to write in with others that you feel are worth sharing.
Legal translation & interpreting / language & law journals – Open access
- Comparative Legilinguistics – International Journal for Legal Communication
- Language and Law / Linguagem e Direito
- Zeitschrift für Europäische Rechtslinguistik
- Fachsprache – International Journal of Specialized Communication
- International Journal of Language & Law (JLL)
- International Journal of Law, Language & Discourse
- Revue québécoise de droit international
- Lingua Legis since 2015, 2014-2003, 1997-1994
- The International Journal of Speech, Language and the Law
Selected comparative & foreign law journals – Open access
- Journal of Civil Law Studies (in addition to occasional articles on legal translation, see Volume 9 No. 1 and No. 2, and from Volumes 5 to 12 excerpts of the Louisiana Civil Code translated into French have been published in a two-column format with the English original)
- Russian Law Journal
- German Law Journal (also includes European & international law)
- Electronic Journal of Comparative Law (1997-2011) now European Journal of Comparative Law and Governance, pay-for-access, published by Brill
Special issues on legal translation & interpreting / language & law – Open access
- Journal in English Lexicology Lexis in Languages for Specific Purposes (LSP)
- Linguistica Antverpiensia New Series -Themes in Translation Studies No. 12 (2013) Research models and methods in legal translation
- inTRAlinea New Insights into Specialised Translation (2015), Specialised Translation II (2011)
- Language and Law / Linguagem e Direito Volume 3.1 Legal Translation
- MonTI (Monographs in Translation and Interpreting) Volume 7 Legal Interpreting at a Turning Point / La interpretación judicial en un momento de cambio
- Revista Alicantina de Estudios Ingleses 2015, No. 28 Language and the Law
Non-specialist translation & interpreting journals and collections – Open access
- Hermēneus. Revista de Traducción e Interpretación [Hermēneus. Journal of Translation and Interpreting]
- TRANS Revista de Traductología
- The Journal of Specialised Translation
- Hermes Journal of Language and Communication in Business
- Machine Translation Archive
- SKASE Journal of Translation and Interpretation
- Cadernos de Tradução
- TRANSlation & INTerpreting
Alongside the general movement for scholarly work to be freely accessible, many of the journals below now include a number of articles with open access, and/or allow authors or institutions to pay for open access to their work.
Legal translation & interpreting / language & law journals – Pay-for-access
- International Journal for the Semiotics of Law – Revue International de Sémotique Juridique
- International Journal of Legal Discourse
Special issues on legal translation & interpreting / language & law – Pay-for-access
- The Interpreter and Translator Trainer 9(2) Training Legal Interpreters and Translators
Non-specialist translation journals carrying legal translation & interpreting papers from time to time – Pay-for-access
- The Interpreter and Translator Trainer
- Target – International Journal of Translation Studies
- Across Languages and Cultures
- Journal of Pragmatics
- Perspectives: Studies in Translatology
- The Translator
- Translation Studies
- Translation and Interpreting Studies (TIS)
- Meta : journal des traducteurs / Meta: Translators’ Journal
- Traduire : Revue française de la traduction
Collection of Translation Studies journals
- A collection of peer-reviewed online Translation Studies journals curated by three academics is available via Google Docs here.
N.B. The list above is divided into open access and pay-for-access purely to assist users when searching, but that division is in no way related to quality or to coverage. Those carrying out research are strongly encouraged to also consult pay-for-access and not to rely on open-access sources only.
One thought on “Compendium of journals on Legal Translation & Interpreting / Language & Law”
Pingback: Lexology | From Words to Deeds: translation & the law