The conference, which is organized jointly by the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Law, aims to engage the participants in the debate of the new challenges for Forensic Linguists and Forensic Linguistics, and will be held from 10 to 14 July 2017.
The organizers have issued a first Call for Papers with a deadline of 31 October 2016, and a second call for papers will be issued in November 2016 with a deadline of mid-January 2017. They recommend that those who need to apply for a Visa or for funding should submit their proposals during the first call so as to receive an early confirmation of acceptance, although authors who submit abstracts during the second call for papers will not be disadvantaged in any way.
Abstract submissions are invited for papers, posters and colloquia, in English or in Portuguese, dealing with forensic linguistics / language and the law including, but not limited to:
- The history of legal languages
- The role of literacy in legal languages
- Legal genres
- Critical approaches to legal languages
- Language education for law professionals
- Courtroom, police and prison discourse
- Investigative interviewing
- Multilingual matters in legal contexts
- Power and the law
- The comprehensibility of legal documents
- Interviews with vulnerable witnesses in the legal system
Language minorities and the legal system:
- Linguistic disadvantage before the law
- Courtroom interpreting and translation
- Human Rights matters
Law on language:
- Language policy and language rights
- Offensive language
- The linguist as expert witness
Linguistic evidence and investigative linguistics:
- Forensic phonetics and speaker identification
- Forensic stylistics
- Linguistic determination of nationality
- Authorship analysis
- Trademark disputes
- Consumer product warnings
- Deception and fraud
Other Related Sub-Themes:
- Computational Forensic Linguistics
- Online identities and interactive multimodal communication
- Multimodal approaches to forensic linguistics
- Intercultural mediation
- Comparative law
You can download the full call for papers here. The organizers are currently working on the conference website and will launch it soon. I will post an update when it goes live.
*Update 20 November 2016: Second Call for Papers deadline 10 January 2017, new link here.
*Update 25 February 2017: IAFL Porto 2017 Keynote Speakers just announced: conference website live here: https://iaflporto2017.com/. Early bird rate (until 15 April 2017).