The Centre for Legal and Institutional Translation Studies (TRANSIUS) will hold its second international conference from 18-20 June 2018 in Geneva, Switzerland. The conference aims to provide a forum for dialogue between scholars and practitioners with a common interest in legal translation and institutional translation settings more generally.
The 2018 conference will combine keynote lectures, parallel paper presentations, a poster session and thematic roundtables, so that all participants, from high-level experts to translation trainees, can benefit from the exchange of experiences. Contributions on the following themes are welcome:
- Problems, methods and competence in legal translation, including comparative legal analysis for translation
- Terminological issues in legal and institutional translation
- The use of corpora and computer tools for legal and institutional translation practice and research
- Sociological and ethical issues in legal and institutional translation
- Developments and implications of institutional translation policies
- Thematic specialisation in institutional translation (technical, scientific, financial, etc.)
- Translation quality control, quality assurance and management practices in institutional settings
- Court translation and interpreting
- Legal and institutional translator training
The conference organisers welcome proposals for individual or collective contributions on the conference topics in English, French, German, Italian or Spanish in either of two formats: papers (for 20-minute presentations) or posters (of a maximum size of 100 x 120 cm).
The deadline for the submission of all proposals is 10 November 2017. The online submission process will open in October. Further information on it will be circulated in September 2017 through the Transius Centre’s website, subscription channels and social media.
A maximum of two proposals may be submitted per author. It will be assumed that the language of the abstract will be the language of the presentation.
Keynote speakers: Marta Chromá (Prague), Karen McAuliffe (Birmingham). Other speakers to be confirmed shortly.
- Deadline for the submission of abstracts: 10 November 2017
- Notification of acceptance: 20 December 2017
- Early registration: 15 November 2017 – 15 January 2018
- Standard registration: 16 January 2018 – 31 March 2018
- Late registration: 1 April – 31 May 2018
- Conference dates: 18-20 June 2018
REGISTRATION AND PRACTICAL INFORMATION
The registration process and other practical information will be available from September 2017.