The African Union is seeking a Portuguese Translator (from English/French) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, to translate official documents.
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- Provides support in the preparation and Implement the programmes developed out of the Division’s strategic plan
- Ensures effective coordination and implementation at various levels
- Liaises with Member States, Regional Economic Communities (RECs), and other stakeholders including on relevant matters
- Prepares and develops reports, budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the Division
- Conducts complex analysis and generates accurate reports in a timely manner for the Division and AU’s internal use
- Liaises with the various Departments/Units of the Commission for coordination and alignment purposes
- Prepares budgets for the Division in accordance with relevant frameworks
- Supports the promotion of the activities of the Division including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets as may be required
- Contributes in the development of strategies, policies, programmes and plans.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s Degree in Translation, Modern Languages or related fields from a recognized institution with seven (7) years’ experience as a translator out of which 3 years are at expert level
- Candidates with a Bachelor Degree in the above fields of study will be considered provided they have a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant work experience as translator out of which 3 years are at expert level
- Certification of translators’ professional member status from a recognized professional body is an added advantage
- The candidate for each position is required to translate into their A language, thus an English Translator must have English as their A language; a French translator must have French as their A language, and so on for all other AU working languages
- Knowledge of the Computer assisted translation (CAT) tools.
See the African Union website for full details of this vacancy. Applications must be made not later than 19th December 2022.
Disclaimer: The above is provided as a heads-up only. Please refer to the African Union website linked above for all information.