The deadline for applications is 4 September 2014.
Duties & Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Head of the Language Services Unit, the Translator/Reviser (English) will perform the following tasks:
- Act as the focal point for all translation and related work by, among other things, proactively planning and conducting outreach with clients regarding their language needs, overseeing the work assignment process inside and outside the Unit, negotiating deadlines where required, ensuring the timely return of all requests, and monitoring fit-for-purpose output quality;
- Contribute to the development of policies and guidelines concerning translation and related areas for the Office;
- Oversee the selection of persons to be placed on the roster of freelance language professionals and, in some instances, the recruitment of in-house translation staff;
- Revise high-level and sensitive translations produced by internal or external translators, assuming responsibility and accountability for the quality of English translations; occasionally translate such documents as circumstances require; documents cover a broad range of subjects including legal, political, social, economic, financial, military, administrative and forensic matters;
- Edit high-level and sensitive documents drafted in English, correcting ungrammatical or unidiomatic use of language and applying in-house style guidelines;
- Supervise the induction and mentoring of new translators concerning the Unit’s translation processes and the provision of appropriate technical guidance to external translators as appropriate;
- Conduct performance appraisals for certain staff;
- Approve French/English terminology, thereby ensuring harmonized usage;
- Perform any other language-related services as required by the Head of the Language Services Unit.
For more details on qualifications and skills required, as well as general information about the position, click here.