The United Nations Assistance to the Khmer Rouge Trials (UNAKRT) is seeking a Consultant Language Reviewer (French to English) to support the operation of the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC). The ECCC is a domestic court supported with international staff, established in accordance with Cambodian law.
The deadline for applications is Tuesday, March 22, 2016 – 11:59 (time zone not specified as far as I can see). The initial duration of the contract will be four months, with possibility of extension. The usual workplace will be on the premises of the ECCC. The candidate must be available and willing to travel for this position.
Under the direct supervision of the Transcription Unit’s Supervisor, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- review transcripts of trial proceedings in the target language (English) against the digital audio recordings in the source language (French);
- edit and translate, when necessary, the transcripts to correct substantive errors or omissions detected in the interpretation, using the audio recordings in the source language;
- edit the transcripts to ensure accuracy and consistency in terminology, spelling, grammar and punctuation, following the Unit’s guidelines and glossaries;
- finalize the transcripts prior to distribution to relevant parties;
- perform administrative tasks related to court files as well as for the Court Management Section as required;
- participate in team activities, including attending team meetings;
- maintain security and safeguard confidentiality of records.
For full details of the recruitment post, please see the UNAKRT website.
Note: Recordings of the trials are available on the ECCC website here, with a simultaneous English and French audio track.